– Bess McBride
– Genre(s): Light paranormal/fantasy, contemporary, vintage, time travel, romantic suspense
– Publisher(s): The Wild Rose Press
To Other Authors
– What are the three MOST important pieces of advice you would give to a brand new author?
- Use elements of your life in your writing…it helps lend your story authenticity. In other words, write what you know…and then make up the rest!
- Don’t quit. Just like jogging or exercising, don’t quit…because you may never go back.
- Diversify. Like an investment portfolio, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Keep submitting to new publishers.
– What’s your favorite way to advertise?
- Well, my favorite way would be to have a publicist, but I’m not in that league… I love the use of the Internet, and I’ve found most of my readers through online groups.
– What hard-knock lesson did the publishing world teach you (can be your own experience or someone else’s that you learned from)?
- As I mentioned before, diversify. Just because one is completely happy with a publisher doesn’t mean that one shouldn’t always keep an eye out for other opportunities to publish their work.
For the Readers
– What are you reading, if anything, at the moment?
- Lots and lots of training manuals for my new job. I haven’t had a chance to read anything for pleasure in a while.
– Do you prefer ebooks or print for your reading pleasure?
- I’ll admit to enjoying print books, but if I want an immediate read, I’ll order an e-book.
– Name three of your all-time-favorite, read-them-over-and-over books.
- “A Knight in Shining Armor,” “The Da Vinci Code,” “The Ivy Tree”
Idle Curiosity Compels Me to Ask
– What inspired you to be a writer?
- I wanted to write ever since I was a troubled 14 yo, and a counselor suggested I write my life history…no doubt as a way to get me to talk. After reading it, she said I should write. Although I’m sure it was a way to focus a lost teenager, I hung on her words.
– What do you do immediately after finishing a manuscript?
- I write up the query and e-mail it off to the publisher.
– Do you talk to your characters or your muse or both?
- I really don’t have a muse per se. And I don’t talk to my characters. But I listen in as they talk to each other… 🙂
~ Most Recent Release ~
|My most recent release is “Caribbean Dreams of Love,” available at all online bookstores.
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
~ Coming Soon ~
|My upcoming release is “On a Warm Sea of Love,” from The Wild Rose Press
Buy Link, available September 25, 2009
Join me next week for Michelle M. Pillow.